header

header

6.26.2009

Feedback Friday - Neighborhood Warzone


Well, the summer has erupted into a neighborhood war zone. Let me explain...

Our neighborhood is about 6 years old. Some of us who first built have been caring for the common spaces (the cul de sac grass and the grass and beds around the neighborhood sign). Of the 20 + homes, 5 families have been shouldering this responsibility for about 6 years.

As the neighborhood grows, we would like to do more to care for and improve these spaces. So, one neighbor sent out an email to all of the families asking for a donation to be set aside in a bank account to hire it out. (We are too young for a home owner's association yet).

There was an overwhelmingly positive response and checks started pouring in from most of the neighbors except two. These two neighbors live on the cul de sac and were under the impression the lawn care elves took care of all of this while they slept. They have never offered to help cut the grass (with their riding mowers), or water the trees, or weed the beds, or plant the flowers and "had no idea" we have all been taking care of this.

Rather than contributing financially, they decided that we should make up a schedule and they will now help out. Here is where I need your feedback: Status quo is not cutting it any more, the grass needs fertilized, over-seeded, the beds need mulched and edged. All of this has been agreed upon by the rest of the neighbors and they are holding things up because NOW they want to cut so they don't have to contribute money.

What to do???

PS:(The only other negative feedback is actually really hilarious, one of the neighbors wants us to not only to take care of the common spaces, but to also mow all of the empty unsold lots in the neighborhood so dogs don't poop in his yard. Who's dogs, you ask? The folks who are trying not to contribute! Classic.)

***Update: Thank you all for your feedback! We have all decided to move forward without them. Hopefully, they will feel guilty at some point and pitch in.

A few tidbits...the neighbors in question drive Jaguars and sports cars, live in expensive homes, and take nice trips...and we're only asking for $50 for the whole year. They recently voiced that their denial to participate is on principle because the developer is really supposed to be doing this stuff. However, it's been 6 years and the developer has done squat. So, we're flying solo and we've made peace with it. No more fighting :)





And how could I not mention Michael Jackson, The King of Pop? As strange as he was, I grew up with his music and one of his songs will still make me get up and dance. I can moonwalk and "Hooo!" with the best of them. I had his picture in my locker and imitated his dance moves in little productions my cousins and I performed. Rest in peace MJ...

12 comments:

  1. Ugh. I would be completely irritated.

    Honestly though, I would probably just move forward without the contributions from the "problem people". Assuming that you can afford it without them. It will be aggravating but it would be even more annoying to change everything to accommodate the two problem people.

    If they're unwilling to contribute a small amount of money to help take care of the neighborhood, they're probably not going to be all that willing to help either. In the end, they'll slack off their jobs and then you'll be REALLY ticked.

    I'm always amazed by people who are so unwilling to pitch in.

    Kimba

    p.s. I linked to you from my post today. Hope that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous post that I would just move forward with everyone else who agreed to contribute. For extra peer pressure you send out a flyer to the neighborhood with the details of who you hire/cost/etc and list a thank you and the names of all the families who contributed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I would agree with the others...best to pick and chose your battles. In the longrun, it's not worth getting upset or ruining your mood (or appearance of your neighborhood)because of other people.

    Sometimes, people suck...but it's better to let them suck alone than to let them bring you down. Happy Friday, fancy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the consensus. I'm a little surprised that more people didn't fight or complain. I'd count myself lucky to have so many great neighbors who don't mind doing their share!

    Really annoying about those two though. I guess the world was created just for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else. You are never going to be able to make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. I would say that in this case, majority rules, and it sounds as if the majority has decided to contribute financially to the upkeep of the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there's always one, isn't there ... amazing. sorry, I don't have any brilliant thoughts to share on this one ... wishing you the best of luck ... and that all the dog poop ends up in their yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also send something out about making sure that dogs don't use the common areas or other neighbors' yards as their personal bathrooms, and if they do to make sure and pooper scoop.

    And, if someone ever catches a dog- take a picture and send it out in to all the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you ladies are gooood...I like the poop wishes, the pointed thank you's, and the heartfelt quotes ("sometimes people suck") Right on!

    I knew I could count on all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why I live on 4 acres, away from people, where I can walk around naked, and only have to mow my own lawn - naked if I wanted.

    Totally kidding - about the naked....

    I agree with Kimba, I think that they'll commit to doing stuff and end up backing out and unavailable and relying on you and the others. I say keep up the peer pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live on a cul-de-sac as well and my neighbors are very un-friendly. So at least most of your neighbors are nice, looking at the positive part of this! I think that money is a hard issue right now (and always really). If they want to do part of the work, then they can do it instead of paying. If they don't, then the rest of you have to decide how it important it is to you. That's my two cents, take it or leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I am just wondering if these people can't afford to contribute? We never know what is going on in someone's home and they maybe embarrassed to say they don't have money to spare for this. At least they offered to help out now- you even said they didn't know that some neighbors were maintaining the common grounds before this. I know it seems that they have been rude by not helping out before but maybe your neighborhood should take the high road and let them do "double duty" - those who can contribute financially, contribute and those who can't do extra labor to compensate for their lack of financial support. I know for myself when I am not in a postion to give financially I try to give of myself instead. I maybe wrong and they may just be totally selfish but sometimes it helps to look at a situation from a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your feedback! We have all decided to move forward without them. Hopefully, they will feel guilty at some point and pitch in.

    A few tidbits...the neighbors in question drive Jaguars and sports cars, live in expensive homes, and take nice trips...and we're only asking for $50 for the whole year. They recently voiced that their denial to participate is on principle because the developer is really supposed to be doing this stuff. However, it's been 6 years and the developer has done squat. So, we're flying solo and we've made peace with it. No more fighting :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work