header

header

12.05.2010

Alabama's Reverse Applique Scarf



During our Soul Sisters Getaway we worked on lots of fun projects like Tassel Necklaces, Funky Frames and Clipboards, and Cookie Decorating 101 along with the ever-popular activities of wine-drinking, junk food eating, and shopping. It's tough being a girl!

Joy planned our final project, Scarves inspired by Alabama Chanin's book, Alabama Studio Style. This book emphasizes sustainable, wearable art made from recycled and organic materials.

Leafing through this book and Joy's materials inspired us all. Using t-shirts, scissors and embroidery thread we each created a great scarf using reverse applique method like the Layered Tee Tutorial I once blogged.

Alabama Studio's Reverse Applique Scarf


Supplies:

Old, large-sized t-shirts in assorted colors (Hubby's extra large is perfect)
Scissors
Embroidery thread and needles
Stencils
Chalk

Directions:

We began by cutting our t-shirts through the front and back, like this, leaving the shoulder seam intact:



We cut two t-shirts (two different colors) the same way, then layered them together, shoulder seams facing in.

Using embroidery thread, we sewed the two layers together using a basting stitch around the outside edge until it looked like a crazy, one-armed, drunk seamstress had gotten a hold of it:



Using chalk, we drew a simple pattern onto the top layer of our material. You can use a stencil or freehand this. Personally, I feel like this step was enhanced by wine and cheesecake...but maybe that's just me.



Then we stitched, stitched, stitched! Stitch around the pattern using large stitches in a contrasting embroidery thread then cut out the center of the top layer, revealing the layer of fabric underneath. I swear every time we cut out those shapes it was a a big TA-DA!!!



You can use your imagination when it comes to stitches, patterns, colors...Go crazy, girl!



Come on, this is cool!



Get to work raiding your Hubby's closet, I feel a Christmas gift coming on!

Come on back tomorrow to link up with Tutorial Tuesday. It will be your turn to Teach Me Stuff!

.

11 comments:

  1. Too cute! I'm raiding the closets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this one! So cute. I must go out tomorrow and find this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah. My sister just asked for a nice scarf and now I have one I can make myself. Thanks for sharing this great project.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. I think my girl scout troop would love to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I do accept gifts and my address is......

    Ha ~ this is now on my to make list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really, really cute scarf! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this book on my want list for the longest time--- Now I know I have to get it. Great job, I love your scarf

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep...I'm thinkin' the wine and cheesecake helped me stitch the night away....and watching Dumb and Dumber for the umpteenth time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that! I took a class with Natalie Channin a while ago and got on a reverse applique binge for a while...it's died down but I can feel a new wave comin over!

    I WANT THAT SCARF!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work