header

header

6.16.2011

NYC Faves


Fave Restaurants

Lunch/Otto



A simple PANE FRATTAU (pizza) with Tomato, Pecorina, and an Egg followed by Olive Oil Gelato with Basil Syrup, Mango Granita, Lime Curd, and Sea Salt. Out of this world!

Dinner/Daniel. Click to view the 6 course tasting menu we enjoyed for our anniversary celebration. It was an evening of outstanding food and impeccable service.

Fave transportation? The NYC Subway!



Fave place to explore? Central Park!



I always thought I wanted to be a city girl when I was a teen, but I was drawn to the park more than any other place. The top photo is the view from our room and the second is the view of our window from the park. This park is an amazing jewel.

Fave part of town? Soho!



We browsed in the many art galleries on Greene Street and discovered a new favorite artist, Nicholai Makarov, a Russian artist who paints dream-like landscapes and nudes. I'm obsessed.

Fave Self Portraits?



I was determined to get some photos of the two of us!

Fave (only) Famous Person? Wendie Malick!



She was long and lean, gorgeous without a stitch of makeup, with her hair in a pony, crossing Madison Avenue. The Big Guy missed the whole thing and wanted to turn around and follow her to get a look!

Fave unexpected fun? Festival of India!



We danced in the rain with the Hare Krishnas...okay, I danced in the rain with the Hare Krishnas while The Big Guy held the umbrella. We stumbled upon the Festival of India after lunch one day and the music was infectious!

Later in the weekend we also found ourselves in the middle of the Puerto Rican Day parade, let's just say it was not so peace-loving and happy as the Indian Festival. The crowds were huge and there were many drunk attendees.

Most Heartbreaking Museum tour? The National September 11 Museum



I cried my way through the entire display as I watched and read first-hand accounts of that terrible day. Photographs and artwork from local school children brought the victims to life for me in a very real way. I re-lived it all over again and can feel a knot in my throat even writing this paragraph. Every American needs to visit this museum and soon-to-be-completed memorial at least once in their lifetime.

So, that was our visit to NYC in a nutshell! Do you have any favorite spots I missed?

.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had the perfect weekend getaway! I love it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote this long comment about all my favorite NYC things and Zap!

    It vanished...Yikes!!!

    So glad you had a great time and I loved the photos.

    Welcome home

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canal St...Battery Park....the Little Owl...Top of the Rock...and a good ol taxi ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that Artist! I had to go back and check that you had said PAINTED. I've never seen anything like that. It looked so much lika soft focus filtered photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee- it was just as amazing to see in person! The paint is applied in such thin layers that the texture of the canvas comes through and becomes part of the effect. Each painting also has an amazing light source that changes the look at different times of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey!!! your favorite part of town is where i live :)
    glad you had fun and a lovely second honey moon!! happy anniversary !
    my favorite spots after central park are the highline which is now longer and better, and the river walk on the hudson river (only in spring summer, otherwise it's freezing!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checked out the artwork.....beautiful!!!!!

    so ethereal ...you just want to sit and stare at them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great trip! I think the Sept 11 museum would make me cry, too =/

    But yay for the subway! Have never been to NYC but have travelled enough on the London Underground and love that! The hustle and bustle of people, the noise it makes, the sheer convenience of it for getting about--totally awesome!

    Central park looks absolutely amazing. Seems you got a fantastic room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrific weekend....I think you covered a ton in just a couple days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one blog is quite amazing. i found it by chance while reading i have fun so sweet way to write. thanks you shared..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Otto is so yummy and not too expensive! I am in NYC now for 6 weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work