header

header

4.30.2014

Last Minute Kentucky Derby Hat

So, have I told you I don't wear hats?  I might pull on a ball cap or a beach hat, but I am not a fancy-schmancy hat kind of girl that looks glamorous in a big floppy number with a sundress.  I feel so dumb trying to pull it off! (**I'm sure there is some joke with the line "does this hat make my ass look big?" as a punchline)

I searched high and low to find a hat to wear to a Kentucky Derby Gala (to benefit Emmaus Community of Pittsburgh, a great organization that provides residential homes for persons with disabilities).  After trying on more than a dozen different styles of hats, I realized I was never going to feel comfortable in anything large or "hat-like" that day.

I started to think about last year's Halloween costume and the hairpiece I wore that day...hmmm...

Then I thought about Princess Kate...



I wandered into Claire's looking for some sort of hairpiece that might pass for a hat. I ended up with $17 worth of hair clips as supplies to create my own "fascinator".

I ended up choosing two clips, one flat with feathers and one with loops of ribbon for some height:


I decided I was going to create  a "fascinator" that would match my dress since I had gone about things backward and chosen a dress before the hat...gasp!

I added 2 peacock feathers I already had at home to pick up the green in my dress and sandwiched them between the two hair clips then clipped the top clip to the bottom clip - It didn't even require glue so I can dissemble and use them again for another project or add different feathers to match another dress!


Here is a shot of the front and back in the mirror:


It clips in easy-peasy, I hardly even feel it!  It's like wearing a barrette so I'm totally comfortable and the green in the feathers matches my dress spot on!  Off the the Kentucky Derby...

2 comments:

  1. 'Very clever as well as very pretty! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just happened upon this! Your hat looks fantastic, and thanks for the shout out to Emmaus! We hope you had as much fun at the event as we did!

    -Tiffany Merriman-Preston, Emmaus Community of Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work